Monday, March 05, 2007

What the hell is going on with Galactica?

This show has me utterly baffled. They lost me so completely with last night's Starbuck episode that I can't even tell if I hated it or not. It's just... bizarre. I've never been a big fan of prophecy as a plot motivation, and here the fixation with the mystical is pulling the series farther and farther away from it's grounded base. Ron Moore has said in interviews he abandoned plans to reintroduce the "Ships of Light" from the original series because they were too "woo woo." More or less. My words, not his. But man, what they're coming up with now...

I'm sorry, people. Starbuck going off the rail and blowing herself up isn't a plot. It's barely a character study, no matter how much backstory about her mother you suddenly invent whole cloth and tack on to try to make this seem well-planned. It's not. Drawing circles on the wall a few episodes back does not constitute foreshadowing. I know the whole setup is designed to make the viewer believe Starbuck is a Cylon--maybe she is, or maybe this is a honkin' big red herring--but right now Galactica is getting more and more like Lost because I can't escape the feeling they have no idea where they're going with this thing, and are making it up as they go along.

Now Playing: The Moody Blues Time Traveler

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous8:04 AM

    They *did* bring up the abuse in her childhood back a ways when Starbuck was in the baby farm episode. I don't know if we'll ever be able to tell if that was more of a plot hook set in for random future development or if the writers had something like this planned way back.

    ReplyDelete