Monday, May 07, 2007

Spurs top Suns

So the Spurs outlasted the Suns 111-106 in one of the hardest-fought (not to mention bloodiest) playoff games thus far in the NBA postseason. Not to slight the Jazz or the Warriors (or the entire Eastern Conference for that matter) but the San Antonio-Phoenix series could practically be for that league championship.

And I missed the game. For some reason, I had it in my head as a 6:30 p.m. tipoff. At 2:30, I was at the zoo with my kids, navigating a wet, misty drizzle on rain-slicked sidewalks. We had a pretty good time, actually, and Orion learned the joys of chasing miniature goats in the petting zoo and splashing through puddles on the sidewalk.

And while I mentioned the Jazz up above, can anyone tell me why Jeff Van Gundy is still the coach of the Houston Rockets? Their collapse against Utah in game 5 is inexcusable. With talents like Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming anchoring your team, you shouldn't be struggling to earn a fifth seed only to get bounced in the first round. That team should be challenging for the division and conference title every season. Van Gundy is obviously the wrong man for this collection of players--as I've said for the past three seasons--and needs to make way for someone who brings something new to the table.

Now Playing: Various artists Tower of Song: The Songs of Leonard Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment