Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gloom and distraction

A project I'd really gotten worked up about just hit a brick wall. It's not wholly dead yet, but it's gasping and wheezing in a crumpled mess on the floor. I am, as always happens in these instances, in a deep gloomy funk. So instead of wallowing in my own misery here and inflicting it upon you, instead I'll point out another review of "The Final Voyage of La Riaza" I just stumbled across:
The fiction opens up with The Final Voyage of La Riaza by Jayme Lynn Blaschke. This is a completely other-worldly tale of sky-sailors and pirates. Blaschke skillfully develops the plot with characters that interact well, weaving well-written dialogue that really does let them breathe on the page. Descriptively, the piece is vivid and detailed, bringing the alien landscape to life. A real rollercoasting swashbuckler, the tale itself seemed to end a little abruptly, like a heavily applied brake. This was in keeping, though, with the style of the writing – blunt, pacey and unashamedly cold. I almost got the impression that a sequel could come after this; the characters were so strong. A great opener for the issue.

Would that all readers appreciate my innate genius thusly!

Now Playing: Billy Joel KOHUEPT

No comments:

Post a Comment