Friday, September 07, 2007

Things happen quickly

NOTE: Today is July 16, 2013. I've just discovered this post, apparently unfinished and unpublished from Sept. 2007. It appears that I broach the subject of enrolling at Texas State to take some photography courses. I can only assume this remained unpublished because my efforts were rebuffed by highers-up. It would be another year before I actually started learning photography for true. I publish it now simply as a historical curiosity.

Back in those ancient days when Texas A&M still offered a journalism degree, an array of photography courses were a normal part of the curricula. Most of the students who earned a journalism degree there had at least one photo class under their belt when they walked across the stage to receive the ol' diploma.

I wasn't one of them.

Oh, I'd signed up for introductory photojournalism one semester, but as soon as my dad found out about it, he threw a fit and made me drop it. This pattern repeated itself with study abroad, fencing and half a dozen classes I've long since forgotten about. He was a controlling sonofabitch, and I was still too much of an obedient son (read: wuss) to stand up for myself. This, I'm not proud of.

So a couple of weeks ago, I kinda sorta start thinking I ought to do something about this sad lack of photographic knowledge on my part. Sure, I've managed to take a few decent shots in my time, such as this Lady Margaret passion flower:

WetLM


and Peter S. Beagle:

PeterBeagle090707


But for every Peter Beagle, in which half a dozen different poses come out publishable-quality, I've got dozens of others where my lack of photographic acumen resulted in a whole lot of unusable drek.
Now Playing: Billy Joel Glass Houses

No comments:

Post a Comment