Monday, September 08, 2008

Something's developing

We're actually using cameras now in my photography classes. Nothing exciting, just boring point, light meter and shoot exercises thus far. In the film class, it's like a museum display (and I mean that in a good way). Yes, there are a number of Canon Rebels and old AE-1 bodies, as well as the occasional Nikon. But man, I didn't expect to see so many Minoltas! Seems like ever other camera there is a Minolta--one girl even has a big-time pro-level body complete with off-camera hot shoe grip, hard case, many, many filters and lots of other whistles and bells. We're talking thousands of dollars when new. She confessed she didn't know what half the stuff was for--a family friend is a pro photography and made the switch to digital years back, and let her use the old film camera since it was only gathering dust. Wow. There's also a number of Pentax and Olympus cameras, as well as one brand-new looking Sigma. Very interesting.

So our assignment last week was to shoot an intersection with a 50mm lens and bracket. Which was an extremely boring assignment, and difficult as well since the 50mm isn't wide enough to take in such a scene easily. I witnessed a two-car collision at my intersection, but unfortunately didn't catch it on film, as I was writing down shutter speeds and apertures at the time. sigh

Today we developed the film. I met with mixed results. I had a devil of a time transferring my film to the developing spool--it kept jumping the spool and crimping--and I had to restart several times before I finally gave up. The end result is that portions of my film didn't develop properly, and have gray blotches obscuring the frame. The good news is that more good frames survived than bad, so I should have something worth enlarging when the time comes. Developing with chemicals, while fascinating in an analog sort of way, is indeed a pain. I'm glad the world has gone to digital.

Now Playing: The Doors The Best of the Doors

No comments:

Post a Comment