Thursday, October 07, 2010

In case of emergency, break glass

There was an old David Letterman bit, years ago when he was still with NBC I think, in which a scheduled guest didn't make it to the show. They hit an alarm, rushed down the hall and shattered the glass door of a large, red box to wheel out Tony Randall to fill in. In case of emergency, break glass. I kinda feel like Tony Randall today.

The Wife teaches a community ed DSLR photography class that's been quite well-received in recent years. Normally, since I'm something of a stereotypical hardware geek when it comes to talking about equipment, she has me come in the second-to-last class and give a big presentation on lenses: The different varieties, accessories, what works and what doesn't, signs of quality, that sort of thing. By that time they've gotten a good foundation in composition, exposure and all the other techniques that go into making a good image, so educating them about hardware is appropriate to help them elevate their game.

Except that The Wife has developed a sore throat and lost her voice. It's so faint that I couldn't hear her to carry on a conversation during dinner last night. Obviously, there's no way she could teach a class tonight under those circumstances, so I'm being called off the bench to pinch-hit. I'm not sure how the class will respond to a whole lot of technical information thrown at them in only the second class, but I suppose we'll find out.

Now Playing: Rush Chronicles

No comments:

Post a Comment