Monday, October 04, 2010

Yeah, why don't you chat about THAT!

I almost died today, or rather, almost got killed. It's not the first time, unfortunately, and I doubt it'll be the last. I'm driving home from work on I-35, and from an on-ramp comes barreling down upon me a big white Ford F-150 pickup. Now realize that I'm in the middle of three southbound lanes. This driver is talking on his cell phone. He never once looks to his left, all the while cutting across two lanes of traffic. I lay on my horn, slam on my brakes and swerve into the leftmost lane to keep from getting splattered all over the highway. Even then he misses me by maybe six inches. And no, he never looked my direction or acknowledged me or my riding the horn. In fact, he never put down his cell.

Now, a normal person would cuss a blue streak at this point. Which I did. But I also noticed a logo on the driver's side door. So shaking off the jitters of shock, I floored it and pulled along side him. Bingo. "Alamo Claims Service" with an 800 number to go along with it. I punched the number into my phone, exited the highway and called. I blistered the receptionist who answered the phone but good, and then did the same to the admin to whom my call was transferred. I gave time, description, location and license plate number to them. They promised they'd deal with the driver and assured me they don't tolerate that kind of behavior. Will they do something? I don't know, but I'd assume they'd take my complaint seriously because of the line of business they're in.

Insurance claims adjusters tend to take a dim view of reckless driving, don't they?

Now Playing:

No comments:

Post a Comment