Tuesday, July 26, 2005

There are officially too many summer camps

Long years ago (as Grandpa Fritz used to say) there was summer camp, which actually involved camping in the wilderness and such. For me, it was Boy Scout Camp on the Blanco River. Then educational camps got into the act--I spent several summers at Texas A&M-Galveston in the marine biology, archaeology and space science summer programs they had there. Sports followed, with football and baseball camps at major universities, along with drill team camps and cheerleader camps and whatnot. Soccer camps (shudder) have really taken off in the last 10 years or so. But I tell you, friends and neighbors, the end is truly near when Austin radio stations are running ads for cricket camps. I kid you not. I'll be the first to admit that "sticky wicket" is fun to say in mixed company (mainly because it sounds vaguely dirty) but in all honesty, is the U.S. of A. really ready for cricket? I mean, isn't that why we invented baseball in the first place?

Now Playing: Billy Joel Rarities vol. III

No comments:

Post a Comment