Friday, March 09, 2007

Friday Night Videos

I went through a Kim Carnes phase right near the end of her biggest sustained popularity. I really got into her "Barking at Airplanes" album, and from there tracked down a lot of her previous albums. Very interesting songwriting. I also find it interesting that she never changed her image--pretty much her entire career has her sporting the white-shirt-black-suit look. Bette Davis Eyes was her biggest hit, but is also her most stylish and prototypical 80s video. And it's still such an odd piece that I'm baffled as to how it succeeded as it did. In today's slick, programmed era of radio, it'd never get any airplay. Which explains, I suppose, why Karnes hasn't had a hit in more than 15 years.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... The Police.

Now Playing: John Cougar Mellencamp American Fool

No comments:

Post a Comment