Saturday, September 08, 2007

Late night ramblings

It's late, and everyone else is asleep. I'm up, all alone. Instead of doing any meaningful writing, I think I'll do some meaningless blogging instead.

A&M beat Fresno State in triple overtime today. After taking a 19-0 lead into halftime. Pathetic. The first half was impressive, I'll admit. The Aggies played tight defense and the offense, while not spectacular, mixed it up just enough to keep the Bulldogs off-balance. But the second half play calling was so conservative I wanted to throw up. Even the TV commentators picked up on how A&M was refusing to throw the ball downfield, even though Fresno State was all but daring them to. All the receivers were running short routes. This, after Coach Fran talked all week about how disappointed he was in A&M's throwing game last week, and was going to open it up and go deep more this week. Talking through his hat. It's like every complaint all the potbangers had about R.C. Slocum is magnified tenfold with Fran. I'm glad the good guys won, but if they play Miami next week this way, they'll get creamed (yes, I know the Sooners humiliated the Hurricanes today, and Fresno is a decent team. Still).

I learned today that a neighbor's child--a college student--committed suicide the night before. Very sad. I never really knew them, but I deal with kids that age all the time at work. I wish I could offer some meaningful sympathy, but I feel any gesture from me would be a hollow one. And in all honesty, these kinds of tragic events leave me feeling very vulnerable. I tend to respond by withdrawing into myself. Pretty much my defense for any unpleasantness.

I have an unpleasant headache, but I haven't taken anything for it. That would involve getting up and going across the house, which means effort. I'm too lazy to do so. How sad is that?

I thawed some ducks today--something like three teal and a pintail--small ones my brother had given me that've been in the deep freeze since early spring. I placed them in a gallon bag, and added two cups of the jalapeno mead. They're marinating in the refrigerator now, and I plan on cooking them up tomorrow sometime. My family watched me doing this with undisguised revulsion and fear.

I just took two aspirin. So apparently I am not as lazy as I initially thought.

I get unreasonably depressed when I try to "Friend" someone on MySpace and they ignore me. Another sad bit of my soul bared. I have no trouble rejecting random garage bands or spammers (and there are plenty of those out there) but I seek out new friend contacts none too often. So I take their indifference as a kind of personal rejection. Flashback to awkward high school days.

There are some really amazing photographers with dazzling galleries online. I'm just saying.

That's enough for now. Goodnight folks.

Now Playing: The Bangles Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment