Monday, February 16, 2009

Status update

Here's a quick status update for those of you who keep up with these things--since I'm most likely to be under radio silence the rest of the week.

My mother is in the hospital. Saturday evening she fell in the garage--we're not entirely sure how, tripping over a dog remains the popular theory right now. In the process of falling to the hard concrete floor, she broke both wrists and gave herself a concussion. There was some degree of drama involved in getting her to the Columbus hospital, since most of the family is scattered around the state, and she was pretty much incapacitated. Once she'd gotten to the hospital and patched up, my estranged father (estranged from pretty much the entire family) showed up, apparently out of concern (this is out of character for him, but I'll give him the benefit of the doubt for now) and promptly had a not-insignificant heart attack. So he was transferred to Houston, where a battery of tests revealed all sorts of surreal weirdness going on with his heart. So my brother John, who is the only sibling living in Columbus, had been dealing with all the drama and managing the situation (good for him) until last night, when word came down that his fiancee's grandfather--who she was very close to--had passed away. So now he has to pack up and fly down to Mexico to help with the funeral arrangements. Suffice to say, this triple-whammy of stress has got him beat down pretty much.

So I'm in Columbus the rest of the week, taking care of whatever needs taking care of and hoping that this is all the excitement I'll have to face for the next year or six...

Now Playing: The Kinks The Kink Kronikles

3 comments:

  1. A tough time for all concerned. Hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with the drama. You and your family are in my thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous11:09 AM

    I'm sorry about your mom I'll say prayers..I just lost my mom in Sept..she was my best friend

    Sincerely, J'aaime from the passiflora forum..the orchid mix uped girl
    vandavixen

    ReplyDelete