Friday, April 23, 2010

Friday Night Videos

Growing up in tiny Columbus, Texas didn't afford too many entertainment opportunities, but during my high school years, a band calling themselves The Emotions (no relation to the female R&B group of the 70s) played the K.C. Hall every few months. Those were weekends of great excitement. Sad, I know. They were a cover band, and didn't introduce original material until a failed record deal, and their breakup followed shortly thereafter. They did, however, play a wide array of covers from an eclectic mix of artists, some of which us ignorant high school kids assumed were originals. "She Sheila" was one of those, a staple of their closing set for the entire four years I went to their dances. My senior year, I believe, I learned that the original was by a band called the Producers (no relation to the Mel Brooks movie and stage play) off an album titled You Make the Heat. Being the music junkie I was at the time, I bought that tape and wore it out. Nothing else on the album was quite up to the level of "She Sheila," but then who would expect otherwise? Enjoy the flashback to high school days.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... The Kinks.

Now Playing: Tom Petty The Last DJ

No comments:

Post a Comment