Friday, April 30, 2010

Friday Night Videos

I like Jewel, but don't think she ever quite lived up to the promise of her first single, "Who Will Save Your Soul." It's a funky, soulful folk-pop fusion that evoked for me some of the great singer-songwriters of the 70s, the type of song you simply don't hear today. Must be that Hammond organ. She's got some clever wordplay, a sly delivery and the requisite social commentary themes running throughout. Even the video's edgy in its own way. Unfortunately, this is the only song she's ever done in this style. Everything else off her Pieces of You album is in the angsty, melodramatic, weepy style she built her career on (and I understand there's an earlier version of the song left off the album that was recorded in a more bleak, Jewel-like style). "Who Will Save Your Soul" is my favorite of hers, and I long for something more in this style.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... The Producers.

Now Playing: Tom Petty & the Heartbreakers Live at the Fillmore West

1 comment:

  1. She's got one of my favorite voices at the moment. We got to see her in Houston this past fall, buying tickets at the last minute. A fun concert and I'm glad she did some yodeling.

    ReplyDelete