Wednesday, September 15, 2010

The weird calls I get

So working in the university's media relations, I get my share of strange phone calls. But today's was really out in left field.

Female caller: I'm doing a paper on Texas State, and I need to know about your nickname.

Me: You mean the Bobcats?

FC: No, your school's nickname.

Me: I don't think our school itself has a nickname.

FC: Yes it does. My professor says that it comes from your campus being established as a land grant college before the Civil War.

Me: Uh...

FC: I need you to tell me what your campus' nickname is, and the story behind it.

Me: Texas State was established in 1899. And it's not a land grant university.

FC: Are you sure? My professor is sure it was before the Civil War.

Me: I think your professor might be confusing us with some other school. Texas A&M is the oldest public university in the state, but it wasn't established until 1876. The only Texas university that I know of predating the Civil War is Baylor. Baylor, and Mary Hardin-Baylor were chartered in 1845 by the Republic of Texas.

FC: ... Yeah, I don't care about that. My paper's about Texas State.

Me: You do know it hasn't always been Texas State, right? That it started off as Southwest Texas Normal School?

FC: Whatever. Bye.

Now Playing: Pink Floyd Wish You Were Here

No comments:

Post a Comment