Friday, March 30, 2012

Friday Night Videos

Earl Scruggs died this week, and with apologies to Roy Clark and Steve Martin, he may well have been the greatest banjo player to ever live. Here he is with Lester Flatt performing "Foggy Mountain Breakdown" a the Grand Ole Opry:



Of course, I wasn't even born during the height of their career. I learned about Flatt & Scruggs--as I'm sure many of my generation did--through their guest appearances on the Beverly Hillbillies shown in syndication on weekday afternoons. It always baffled me how Flat & Scruggs, presented as being from Bug Tussle on the show, same as the Clampetts, could have assimilated to modern, urban life so readily whereas Jed and his kin consistently flailed around as fish out of water. Heh. Such is the logic of The Beverly Hillbillies.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... Shawn Brown.

Now Playing: Original Broadway Cast The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment