Monday, July 08, 2013

Chicken Ranch report no. 36: GHOSTS OF THE CHICKEN RANCH

This is what I've been working on for the past two months, Ghosts of the Chicken Ranch, a coffee-table/fine art book that takes readers on a photographic tour of the infamous Chicken Ranch brothel as it is today:

Ghosts of the Chicken Ranch, coffee table book, photography book, Chicken Ranch book, La Grange Texas, brothel book, bordello, bawdy house, cat house, Lisa On Location photography, fine art photography, San Marcos, New Braunfels, San Antonio, Austin

This book developed as a companion piece to my other Chicken Ranch book, the definitive history of the place that is currently under consideration with a number of agents/publishers. When it became clear late last year that, even under the best of circumstances, the Big Book would not see publication in time for the 40th anniversary of the Chicken Ranch's closure on Aug. 1, I knew I needed to do something to mark the occasion. Then it struck me--The Wife and I had visited the ruins outside of La Grange many times over the previous four years, extensively photographing the site. By presenting some of the best and most interesting of our images in book form, we could allow readers to explore and learn about what is and what was. I also include a bit of history as well, mostly in the context of relating to the property itself. I have to admit I'm pleased with the way it turned out.

The book should be available for purchase online within a few weeks--certainly before Aug. 1. I will provide information on that as soon as it is available. So for everyone out there who has strongly urged me to self-publish my Chicken Ranch materials over the past year or so, here's your chance to prove your case. Who knows? If Ghosts of the Chicken Ranch moves in significant numbers, I may be forced to look seriously as self-publishing that other book...

Now Playing: Blue Öyster Cult Workshop of the Telescopes
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment