Friday, March 27, 2015

Friday Night Videos

Friday Night Videos
In this day and age, the megachurch preacher has replaced the televangelist as the high-profile celebrities of religion in the U.S. cultural landscape. To my mind, though, there's not a dime's worth of difference. It's all about branding and marketing opportunities, with making millions and leading an opulent lifestyle seemingly taking aback seat to, oh, I don't know, maybe actually following the teachings of Christ? Which is why this song has been on my mind lately. "Would Jesus Wear a Rolex" is one of my favorites by Ray Stevens, from back when he was thoughtful and philosophical as much as funny (as opposed to now, where he just comes off as vindictive and angry--I very much doubt Ray includes this one in his current set list, and that makes me sad). There's no official video that I can find, but below the "fan video" there's an interview Ray did back when the song first came out that I found interesting. Enjoy.

Previously on Friday Night Videos... Tom Lehrer.

Now Playing:
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment