Wednesday, August 03, 2016

The Best Little Special in Texas!

First up, a bit of business: I'd like to remind everyone that tomorrow I will be at the Fayette Heritage Museum & Archives, aka the La Grange library, starting at 6 p.m. for a reading, signing and discussion of Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch. Then on Saturday, I'll be in Houston for a signing at Murder By the Book starting at 4:30 p.m. Then Sunday I'll be in San Antonio for the final performance of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas at the Playhouse San Antonio starting at 2 p.m., signing books and talking about the history of the Chicken Ranch in the lobby. Come on out and catch the show if you can!

I've got some new dates to add as well. I'm pleased to announce that I'll be in Bryan/College Station August 13 and 14 for the Theatre Company's production of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. Like with San Antonio, I'll be in the lobby talking history and signing books for the 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. shows, then for the 2 p.m. matinee on Sunday as well. Finally, I've added another Houston appearance. I'll be at Brazos Bookstore August 23 at 7 p.m. for a signing and discussion of, you guessed it, the history behind the Chicken Ranch.

Now that business is out of the way, let me share with you this curiosity from 1982: The Best Little Special in Texas! It was produced to promote the theatrical release of The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas, and was distributed in syndication. It's never been aired since, and isn't even included in the special features on the DVD/Blu-Ray releases of the film. Frankly, it's not that great, putting more attention on the "special guest stars" that had nothing to do with the film or play, rather than the film itself. I guess someone decided that the subject matter of the Chicken Ranch was too much for television, so they figured smoke and mirrors was the way to go. In any event, it's a curious bit of broadcast history.

Now Playing: Aerosmith Pandora's Box
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment