Monday, August 17, 2020

A Moment of Tiki takes on thatch and milk punch

"A Moment of Tiki" returns for your viewing pleasure with two new episodes!

First up is episode 12, in which I actually build something for a change. Remember how all the way back in episode 1 I showed how to flame-treat bamboo for use in your home tiki bar? Well, here's where we put all that bamboo to work, building an awning for the tiki bar that is covered with thatch to ward off sun and rain! I do have one caveat, however. Since filming these videos, I've learned Asian bamboo mites are prevalent in California and parts of Florida. Heat treating won't kill the eggs in the bamboo unless the whole thing is heated above 160F for a couple of hours--which simple flame-treating doesn't accomplish. Bamboo mites aren't found in Texas (lucky for me!) but if you live in California or Florida, be careful with self-harvested bamboo lest you get an infestation of termite-like critters in your home.

In episode 13, I am inspired by the May 2020 Home Bar Awards challenge, and take on the arcane mysteries of clarified milk punch. I put a tiki spin on this particular tipple, naturally enough, using several different types of rum, falernum and allspice dram to come up with my "Cabaritta Punch" recipe. It's good. It's also challenging to make, although since I've blundered my way through it once, the second time should go a little bit more smoothly. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

Remember, you can view all of my videos online at YouTube. If you enjoy, don't forget to subscribe and leave a comment! I'll be mighty grateful!

Episode 12: Thatch Me If You Can!

Episode 13: Clarified Milk Punch

Now Playing: The Kinks Everybody's In Showbiz
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment