Wednesday, May 19, 2004

Oddz and endz

Themyscira was the capital of the ancient Amazon nation, situated near the river Thermodon along the Black Sea in what is now modern Turkey. And here all this time I'd assumed Themyscira was simply a Greek-sounding name DC had made up to call Paradise Island in more formal settings. Yeah, that's the result of more Wonder Woman research--something that probably won't make it into the entry. And of all the bad luck, the season one boxed set of the Wonder Woman TV series is coming out in late June. Season one, of course, had Debra Winger as Wonder Girl and all the Nazis. In other words, the good season.

In other news, I've received word from Beth Ina, subcommandant of something-or-other at the University of Nebraska Press, that I can expect the copyedited proof of Voices of Vision to arrive for my review sometime around June 11. I'll have two weeks to go over it and get it back to them, at which point the finished text will be beaten into book form. We had an entertaining exchange on the merits, or lack thereof (mostly lack) of The Chicago Manual of Style. Ultimately, everyone seems fairly confident that this book will indeed see publication some day in the future.

And I racked my first batch of honey mead last night. Whoo. It's pale, washed-out looking stuff, but I could just smell the alcohol in it as I was transferring it to the new container. I checked the specific gravity, and was surprised to find that it's around 12 percent alcohol. That's around two percent higher that anticipated. I took a taste, and "pungent" is the best description. Definitely rough around the edges--which aging is supposed to help. We'll see. I added a few ounces of honey to drive out the remaining oxygen in the new vessel, and also put in a bit of acid blend to balance the flavor of the final product. Bottling awaits sometime in June, which means I need to buy some mead bottles and a bottle corker between now and then. My beer bottles and capper just seem inappropriate for this project...

Now Playing: Various Artists The Glenn Miller Story

No comments:

Post a Comment