Friday, September 17, 2004

I'd say it'd be "waxing"

My review of Robert Silverberg's collection Phases of the Moon: Stories of Six Decades is now live over at SFSite.com. To say I like this book would be a gross understatement. Seriously. I haven't been this blown away by a collection since I can't remember. Here's a sample of my giddy musings:
It reads not so much like a single author collection, but rather an anthology giving a historical overview of the evolution of the genre spanning six decades. Every story here could have a different author's name on it. The ease at which he shifts perspective and approach, changes the very rhythm of his sentences, the selection of words is nothing short of amazing. Each story reads as if it sprang from a different mind, flowed from unrelated fingers onto pages separated by not only miles, but lifetimes.

The amazing thing is that I've read a lot of Silverberg's short fiction (none of his novels, oddly enough) so I knew how good a writer he could be. And I was still caught unawares by the sheer excellence of his writing. Mr. Silverberg, of course, may feel free to slip a large envelope filled with small bills under my door at any point...

Now Playing: The Beach Boys Made in U.S.A.

No comments:

Post a Comment