Tuesday, April 12, 2005

A milestone of sorts

Yes, I admit that I, like many other authors with new books out, have been obsessively checking Amazon's sales rankings to see if I can discern some meaning out of their meaningless fluctuation. And I have been able to determine that one sale will boost my numbers by roughly 50,000 a day. This morning Voices of Vision started out with a sales ranking around 54,000, had dropped to the neighborhood of 119,000 by late afternoon, and tonight had rebounded to 44,000. So while sales aren't phenominal, they've grown steady--despite the fact that at any given moment there's close to 30 "new & used" copies available to poach prospective buyers. But this evening I was greeted by a new sight I hadn't seen before:
Only 4 left in stock--order soon (more on the way).

Now that's pretty cool. Amazon could conceivably sell out of my book in the next day or so at the rate they've been moving. Which means Amazon will soon reorder my book from Nebraska, which is music to any writer's ears. I wonder if it's the advertising starting to have an effect? I saw the latest issue of Fantasy & Science Fiction at Hastings today, and it had an ad for Voices of Vision inside (along with several other U of Nebraska titles). The ad was rendered somewhat murky and difficult to read due to the low-quality pulp paper it was printed on (it'd look much sharper on slick paper, I expect) but my title stands out, which is what matters most.

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel Us

No comments:

Post a Comment