Saturday, November 17, 2012

365 / 15: Aerosmith!

Okay folks, here is my much-anticipated, much-delayed photo no. 15 for the 365 project. You'll recall from my previous post that the CF card I was shooting the Aerosmith concert with went belly-up right at the end of their show. More than 90 minutes of Aerosmith, not to mention Cheap Trick's opening act, were lost. All I had was the encore left. Lisa, always the pro, handed me a spare CF card to try and get something in the closing minutes. Despite being more than a little flustered, I did manage to get a few keepers (I'm particularly aggrieved about losing my shots of Steven Tyler singing a Beatles medley with the guys from Cheap Trick). Since Lisa already stole some of my thunder by going with a Steven Tyler shot for her 365 entry, I'll balance the scales with this shot of Joe Perry ripping his guitar atop a baby grand piano during "Dream On."

365 photo challenge, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, Texas. Joe Perry performs during the Aerosmith concert at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, November 16, 2012.

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon FD 500mm 8.0 reflex

But look! I have some bonus shots as well! Here's Austin-area resident Joey Kramer on drums! (This man gives the best damn drum solos I've ever seen. This concert, after a rousing traditional drum solo, he chucked his sticks and continues the solo with his hands and head. When I saw Aerosmith in '88, Kramer abandoned his drums and took electronic drum sticks off the stage and performed a solo on the audience. That is genius, I tells ya!

365 photo challenge, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, Texas. Joey Kramer performs during the Aerosmith concert at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, November 16, 2012.

Next up is Tom Hamilton, Aerosmith bassist. What is there to say about Hamilton other than the fact that his sublime bass line from "Sweet Emotion" is the single most influential impetus in making me want to learn the bass guitar. I never learned, mind you, but if I had, it'd be because of Hamilton.

365 photo challenge, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, Texas. Tom Hamilton performs during the Aerosmith concert at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, November 16, 2012.

Finally, we have Steven Tyler, the quintessential front man. He gets all the attention, and it's easy to see why when you're photographing Aerosmith--he's always doing something interesting, and his flamboyant dress, acrobatics and personality make for dramatic shots. Of all the band members, I got far more engaging shots of Tyler--even during the limited time I had to shoot during the encore. It's hard to choose just one, but this will do.

365 photo challenge, Lisa On Location photography, New Braunfels, Texas. Steven Tyler performs during the Aerosmith concert at the Frank Erwin Center, Austin, Texas, November 16, 2012.

Aerosmith fans might note that I've omitted guitarist Brad Whitford. That's not intentional--I had a bunch of him from early in the show. But during the encore, he lingered in a dark corner of the stage and I was unable to get any decent images of him at that time. If Mr. Whitford feels slighted, I'll be more than happy to set up a personal photo session with him the next time he's in the Austin/San Antonio area. My treat.

I'll have a review of this show, along with some more photos, later. I'm pretty bushed now. Gonna get some shut-eye.

Lisa On Location Photography

Now Playing: Aerosmith Music from Another Dimension
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment