Tuesday, February 15, 2005

It's alive! ALIVE!

Lisa just called. A package arrived via USPS containing 10--count 'em, 10--copies of Voices of Vision. It's real. It exists. And it'll be seven more hours or so before I can actually see them for myself and hold in my hands.
Jayme Lynn Blaschke, Voices of Vision

I've been on the lookout, though, since I'd had a heads-up that Nebraska had indeed released this new species into the wild. Yesterday morning I come into work to find a message from Harlan Ellison awaiting me. Seems that he got a copy on Saturday a wanted to call and let me know. "Apart from the fact that the front cover is possibly one of the most horrendous and off-putting images I've ever seen," says Mr. Ellison (a fact I believe we've already covered here in detail), "it's wonderful." He goes on to offer some very kind words about my effort, which left me all warm and fuzzy inside.

There comes a time in the life of any piece of writing--be it a short story, article or book--when it is turned loose to fend for itself in the world, and as the author, all you can do is hope for the best. Some people will love it, others will hate it, and still more will be indifferent. Ultimately, you hope the former outnumber the latter two, even though the deed is done and the book must stand on its own merits. I'm under no illusions that some critics will grouse and poo-poo my efforts. To say that I won't find those literary slings and arrows discouraging would be a lie. I, like most other writers, much prefer accolades to denigration. But I recognize reviews and commentary for what they are--the opinions of individuals. I can't be all things to all people, nor can my writing, so reviews--be they scathing or adulatory--won't influence my future efforts to any recognizable extent.

That said, starting off this whole publishing thing with words of praise from Harlan Ellison, well-known for his exacting, demanding critical standards... damn. :-)

Now Playing: Falco The Remix Hit Collection

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the book coming out. You must be popping your buttons with pride! And Harlan Ellison was nice to you. Damn! You're cooking with gas now!

    Seriously, reading your posting makes me think what it will probably feel like when "Rocket" comes out in Asimov's later this year.

    I have my order in, and I've turned in a recommendation to the local head librarian to buy "Voices" (as well as Gardner's 'Best of the Best')

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous10:16 AM

    wow, congrats on your book. how cool is that.

    may I ask you how you got this link into your blogger post? When I go to amazon create a link on the amazon associates program and try a few options to cut and paste into my post, it never works.

    i'd like to be able to link to books I blog about. if you've got the time to answer me here on your comments (or on mine at my blog) i'd really appreciate it.

    cheers again on your book.

    ReplyDelete