Saturday, December 17, 2005

The worst barbecue in the universe

Took the family out for barbecue tonight. Normally we'd head straight over to Rudy's, but for a change we thought we'd try out one of the other barbecue joints in town. You know, support the locals. On Loop 337 in New Braunfels, just off I-35 and past the landmark New Braunfels Smokehouse, is a newish restaurant called Davila's Bar-B-Q. We knew it was there because we pass it on the way to Rudy's. "Since 1959" is emblazoned on the signage, so we figured we'd give it a try.

Big mistake.

Folks, this was, without any danger of competition, the absolute worst barbecue anyone in my family'd ever had the misfortune of trying to eat. We should've turned around when we realized the place was nearly empty on a Saturday evening (when all the other restaurants in town are packed to bursting). My daughters' barbecued chickens looked like the puniest, scrawniest, boniest birds ever cooked. Were it not for the white meat, I'd have sworn they were malnourished pigeons. My wife ordered brisket. What she got was a slice of burned gristle with a side of grease. I ordered ribs and sausage. The ribs were overcooked bone with globs of fat attached to one end, and the sausage was dry and overcooked, yet still somehow greasy beyond belief. There was so much fat on our plates that the grease literally pooled on top of the barbecue sauce. I've had some crummy, uninspired barbecue in my life (Bill Miller's Barbecue comes to mind) but I've never had any so bad I've been unable to finish. We left Davila's disgusted, picking up some Chinese takeout at HEB for Lisa, and making a pot of mac and cheese for the girls once we got home.

Folks, if you're ever in New Braunfels and tempted to eat at Davila's Bar-B-Q (or passing through Seguin, since I believe they have a place there as well) do yourself a favor and don't.

Now Playing: Sheryl Crow Tuesday Night Music Club

No comments:

Post a Comment