Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Illustrating a new obsession

Andy Cox sent along two illustrations Doug Sirois has turned in for "Being an Account of the Final Voyage of La Riaza." They're both pretty cool. One captures the spirit--if not the particulars--of a particular battle that takes place, but the other... man, it's just so cool and atmospheric. It's a quiet scene in the capitan's cabin, where Capitan Ancira and First Mate Diego are charting La Riaza's course, but there's so much subtext in the painting that I'm absolutely in love with it. The best part is that Doug included an orrery of the Cibola system. I'd added that to the scene relatively late in revisions, because I kinda sorta wanted one in there, but never actually put it down. I've always thought orrerys were cool, but now that he's actually shown me what my fantasy Cibolan orrery might look like, I've suddenly got this overwhelming urge to build one of my very own. Am I a freak or what?

Now Playing: Pandora Tito Puente radio

No comments:

Post a Comment