Monday, May 14, 2007

HEROES: The Hard Part

Okay, I finally caught up with last week's Heroes episode, "The Hard Part." Overall, I found it an okay episode, but nothing great. It's another of those where nothing much happens other than shuffle the playing pieces around to get them in place for the final act. Which is fine as far as that goes, except for the fact that there have been several of those already this season. It gets kind of old after a while.

Several things stood out as good about this one. Sylar's visit to his flighty mother was a nice touch, humanizing the villain. The super chick holding Micah prison having reality-warping abilities beyond just being able to change her appearance was nice, too. Mohinder's interactions with the shadowy government conspiracy folks worked fairly well, too, as did his discovery of the cure for the little girl's affliction. And the fact that the shadowy government conspiracy wants New York to go boom as much as Linderman does is a curious development, even if this episode once again veered closer to inviting Watchmen comparisons.

Other things didn't work so well. The cliche'd struggle between Sylar and his mom, leaving the injured party in "doubt" struck such a false chord I laughed out loud. Hiro's confrontation with Sylar was poorly executed even if the buildup was anything but. And the show really needs to hire writers who can script children's dialog, because every time the sick little girl said something to Mohinder, it was like fingers on the chalk board. Little kids--even those with super powers--simply don't talk that way. Ugh.

Anyhoo, I'm looking forward to tonight's episode. Since there's only two left, I figure something's got to happen this time around.

Now Playing: Pink Floyd Staying Home to Watch the Rain

1 comment:

  1. Jayme--

    This has nothing to do with Heroes, but with only half of your messages getting through to me (on the Interzone.May2007@gmail.com account).

    I received your query on May 10, replied to it on May 11 (I assume you didn't get that reply), and see your query of today.

    I have not seen your story, which you have sent twice now. I think gmail blocks you when you send an attachment (although I don't see you in their spam filter either).

    It's a pain, as over 250 subs get in there fine so far, so I would suggest two things:

    1) Send the story in the body of the email to the gmail account. Maybe it gets through.

    2) Send the story to my private email: jetse (at) home (dot) nl. Note to everybody reading this who is not Jayme Lynn Blaschke: *only* Jayme is allowed to do this because gmail hates him or something. Thank you!

    I'll let you know, probably from my private email address (because gmail won't let me send anything to you), as soon as I see it.

    Remember the time when email used to just *work*?

    ;-)

    --Jetse

    ReplyDelete