Monday, January 14, 2008

In for a penny...

The deed is done. Remember that idea of doing a weekly serial I've been threatening? It's title is Memory and part 1 is now live at No Fear of the Future. I've also got a short intro up explaining the whole mad mess.

So, with the story going up over there, I think I'll discuss the creative process over here. What's the genesis of this piece, you ask? I considered several possibilities before deciding on building a story using Flavius MacDuff as a cornerstone. Flavius himself is a supporting character in another project of mine, but I realized in writing that project that I didn't have a strong grasp on who he was (beyond the general backstory I'd developed). Memory gives me a chance to rectify that, while taking advantage of some stand-alone story potential of his. So, technically, Memory is a sequel to an unfinished, unpublished project. Is that confusing enough for you? Better take notes--there'll be a test afterwards.

For those interested in such things, this installment was written under the influence of several Smithfield Fair albums, notably "Jacobites By Name" and "Highland Call" (the limited edition remastered version).

Now Playing: Smash Mouth All Star Smash Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment