Thursday, January 31, 2008

Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind...

This is why I love college sports. Sure, my Aggies beating the t-sips 80-63 was very nice indeed, but the silliness that went on in the final minute really put the icing on the cake:
The large lead allowed the big crowd to relish the final 10 minutes as Texas couldn't muster anything resembling a comeback. With the game in hand, the Reed Rowdies got to poke fun at Barnes, who last year after A&M's 100-82 victory at Reed Arena said that some of A&M's yells went out of style in junior high.

"What's next?" said Barnes, who then used a yell from his junior high days. "Watermelon, watermelon, watermelon rind. Look at the scoreboard and see who's behind?"

Well, the Reed Rowdies let Barnes relive his junior high days in the final minute of play, repeating the infamous yell.

Barnes was quick afterward to compliment the Aggies, saying the band's playing of the national anthem was the best he'd heard.

He also was proud of the Aggie fans' rendition of "watermelon rind."

"I taught them a joke last year, and they carried it out perfectly," Barnes said.

Updated--I've found a video on YouTube:



My only complaint is that those darn Wildcats up in Manhattan, Kansas stole our thunder. Any other day, blowing out the 10th-ranked team in the country would grab all the headlines. But Kansas State went and hammered the Jayhawks, one of the last remaining undefeated teams in the nation. Boy, that Beasley is a monster. Well, at least I don't feel so badly about the Aggies getting spanked by those same Wildcats two weeks back...

Now Playing: Winton Marsalis & Ellis Marsalis Joe Cool's Blues

1 comment:

  1. Oh Lordy, was that a good game!

    I was worried about it before I got the TV turned on. When I did, the Ags were up 22-7, I think.

    All good after that!

    ReplyDelete