Friday, February 01, 2008

Friday Night Videos

Shakira isn't a singer I'd normally expect to like. When I first noticed her, I wrote her off as a Latin American pop tart import. But my opinion has gradually changed. Her songwriting on Oral Fixation is significantly stronger than on her English language debut, Laundry Service. Yeah, there are some clunker lyrics here and there, and a few songs are insubstantial and frothy. But still, she strikes me as a shrewd strategic and tactical thinker as far as her career goes. "Don't Bother" is an angry, jilted lover song in the vein of Alanis Morissette's "You Oughta Know," but it's a bit more sly with a touch of regret that Morissette's piece didn't have. The video's a good one too, combining Shakira's sexpot image with surprising vulnerability and an over-the-top revenge fantasy. Good stuff.



Previously on Friday Night Videos... Love & Rockets.

Now Playing: Cheap Trick Greatest Hits

No comments:

Post a Comment