Saturday, August 30, 2008

Inauspicious debut

Losing to Arkansas State is not how I'd have wished the debut of Texas A&M's new coach Mike Sherman to go. Listening to the game over the radio, I heard some good things--in particular, the return of the famed "toss sweep" that was used to punishing effect by the likes of Greg Hill, Rodney Thomas and Darren Lewis in the glory days of R.C. Slocum's tenure at A&M. But there was simply too much inconsistent play, mental lapses and stupid mistakes to enable an A&M win. I guess it was too much to expect a thin team learning an entirely new system to come out firing on all cylinders.

I haven't given up hope on Sherman yet. Fundamentally, he should be a good coach for the team over the long haul. But this humbling loss reminds me a great deal of Jackie Sherrill's disastrous debut against Boston College in '82. I just hope Sherman manages to put together a better record than Jackie managed that first year...

Now Playing: Stan Getz/João Gilberto Getz/Gilberto

No comments:

Post a Comment