Friday, June 25, 2010

A well-respected man

I'm still somewhat in shock over Pete Quaife's death. Funny that, considering he'd actually left the Kinks for good before I was even born! But I will always consider him the Kinks' bassist, despite the talented men who filled in for him in the ensuing decades. One blog posting indicated he'd slipped into a coma several days ago in Denmark, where he'd made his home in recent years. It makes me all the sadder that I missed my one chance to see the Kinks in Houston back in 1986--Pete wasn't with the band anymore, but does it really matter? With Pete's death, Dave's stroke and Ray getting shot in New Orleans, is there any hope that the world's most dysfunctional band will survive long enough for a reunion?

Geoff Edgers, who has perhaps done more than any single human being to reunite the band, has a wonderfully moving remembrance to Pete up on his blog.

Now Playing:

No comments:

Post a Comment