Friday, July 02, 2010

Roadside service

So Wednesday I had to go to a construction zone for an interview, and apparently whilst there my rear passenger tire picked up a nail or somesuch. I know this because by the end of the day, when it was time to go home, the tire was completely flat. I got to spend 30 minutes changing the darn thing in the rain and hoping the little donut spare would get me the 25 miles back home. The puncture was obvious, though--a clear hole in the tread where a nail must've punctured it and then fallen out once the pressure dropped. Easily plugged.

Thursday I pick up a tire repair kit on the way home from work and set about fixing the tire (again, in hurricane-spawned rain showers), because I really didn't feel like dropping $70 or so on a new wheel. I get the plug in, along with a good amount of rubber cement, and set the portable air compressor to filling it up. The little compressor works slowly, so it was 15 minutes at least before the tire reached its recommended 15 psi. I turn the compressor off and get ready to mount it on the car when I hear... hissing. And it's not coming from the plug. I roll the tire over and there, on the opposite side, is a screw buried in the tread. I mean, what are the odds?

I got a pair of pliers, removed the screw, deflated the tire and repeated the process. The tire's held up now for 24 hours, but man, talk about a misfire in the luck department!

Now Playing: Jimmy Buffett Boats, Beaches, Bars and Ballads

3 comments:

  1. I'll bet this experience has made you... (wait for it)... TIRED.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:14 AM

    discount tires repairs tires (if possible) for free. Remember that for next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That may well be true, but the time and effort required to take it to them and wait to have it done doesn't cut down the hassle factor any for me. Putting in two plugs and mounting it myself was faster than driving back and forth across town, and I wasn't dependent on anyone else.

    ReplyDelete