Thursday, November 02, 2017

World Fantasy off the port bow!

I'm heading down I-35 today for the World Fantasy Convention in San Antonio, which is right in my own backyard. This will be my third World Fantasy, but the first one where I have an actual agenda. Previously, I'd gone as a writer looking to make connections, draw inspiration and network with a lot of folks more talented and successful than myself. This time, though, I've got a book in search of a publisher. Those of you following along at home know the original plan was to have Sailing Venus completed in time for the convention. Alas, that was not to be, for an array of reasons. But the novel is more than two-thirds completed and I've entered the final act, so I would hope that, coupled with my track record of producing fiction that is occasionally interesting, will spark some interest amongst the editors and publisher in attendance. I've had editors ask me out of the blue before, "You working on any novels?" to which I'd regretfully admit that I wasn't. This time, I'll be able to honestly answer, "Why, yes. Yes I am."

Here's my schedule for the weekend:

FRIDAY
8-10 p.m. Fiesta Pavilion

Autograph Reception
Sometimes called the Autograph Reception, sometimes the Mass Autographing, there is only one autograph session at a World Fantasy Convention. Every convention member is invited to come to the Fiesta Pavilion, pick up their name plate and choose a seat at the autographing tables. This is a reception; hors d'oeuvres will be served.

SATURDAY
1-2 p.m. Executive Salon 2

Urban Legends in the Age of Fake News (Engaging Our Theme IV)
Urban legends and conspiracy theories often overlap with contemporary events—sometimes propagating so rapidly through social media that Facebook has integrated Snopes as a filter. This is part of what will be considered history in the future. To what extent do urban legends inform contemporary fantasy and horror? In the age of "alternative facts," can fantastic narrative play a role in populating the memescape with better legends for the post-truth era? How can contemporary writers avoid hopelessly dating their narrative for readers? To what extent do urban legends and hoaxes inform contemporary fantasy and horror? Our panelists (Mark L. Van Name, Cassandra Rose Clarke, David Afsharirad) continue to define terms and tropes for discussion during the convention.
And yes, I'll have copies of Inside the Texas Chicken Ranch available, as well as a few copies of Voices of Vision: Creators of Science Fiction and Fantasy Speak--you know, that interview collection with the nightmare-inducing cover. I'll be roaming around all weekend, so grab me and say hello when you get a chance.

Now Playing: Jimmy Buffett License to Chill
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment