Sunday, June 13, 2004

Adventures in publishing

So the book manuscript is supposed to come to me via FedEx or UPS or whatnot on the 9th or 10th, directly from the freelance, hired gun copy editor, at which point I have a two-week window to proof the whole 300-something pages. Any corrections I want made I'll have to make ASAP, because this version of the book is the one that they're going to set the printing plates from. So the arrival date has come and gone, with no manuscript in sight. Wherever could it be?

Bastrop.

I know I updated my address with Nebraska. I know because some additional contract and publicity materials a few months ago wound up in Bastrop as well, and a few phone calls turned up the fact that Department A hasn't passed on the new address to Department B. For those this is lost upon, I moved to New Braunfels almost a year ago, after spending maybe six months in transit with Bastrop as my temporary mailing address.

So I get to make the drive to Bastrop tomorrow after work, to retrieve said manuscript. What fun that will be, in a car that has air conditioning, but which overheats if said air conditioning is operated. When I have several other projects--both writing and non-writing--that are in need of my immediate attention as well.

On the bright side, I got an email from Gary Westfahl saying my three entries to the encyclopedia looked great, and that he wasn't sending over Muggsy and Rocko to break some or all of my knees for wasting his time...

Now Playing: Various Best of Mozart

No comments:

Post a Comment