Tuesday, June 01, 2004

There may be something to this anniversary thing

One of the reasons I married Lisa was because she paid attention. Other girlfriends didn't, which was pretty obvious when they got me gifts--cologne (I never wear cologne), sweaters and other apparel items that make me cringe, leather handbags (!)--in short, pretty crummy gifts. Then they complained that I am hard to shop for. Me, who bounces up and down like a hyperactive puppy whenever I see something in the store I want, and sometimes even pick it up and dance around with it. Yet they "never can figure out" what kind of stuff I want.

Lisa got me the Firefly complete season DVD set for our anniversary. In the past she's gotten me homebrewing kits and truckloads of books--all titles that I desperately wanted, nary a media tie-in amongst them. Her complaint now is that she has a hard time deciding what I'd like best. It's nice to have a wife who understands my inner geek.

Of course, it helps that she operates on--if not the same frequency, then at least one with sympathetic resonance. My gift to her was The Simpsons Season 3 boxed set. When she started quoting lines from the episodes before the package was even open, I knew I'd picked a winner. As if there was any doubt...

Now Playing: Glasnots Beggar's Dance

No comments:

Post a Comment