Sunday, June 27, 2004

And still more RevSF goodies

My review of Brad Meltzer's Identity Crisis no. 1 has finally been posted over at RevolutionSF. You know, the website with all those Honorable Mentions in Gardner Dozois' Year's Best SF vol. 21. So what do I think of his new comic?
How do you solve a problem like Brad Meltzer? I realized a pattern emerged during his run on Green Arrow last year, and his first issue of Identity Crisis merely serves to confirm it: Meltzer writes things -- call them plot points, twists, events, scenes, whathaveyou -- that I really, sincerely and truly hate. Despise. Resent on a deeply personal and primal level in my atrophied reptilian hindbrain. Pretty cut and dried, right? Unfortunately, Meltzer pens these disgusting blasphemies of his in brilliant, gripping and -- dare I say it? -- even poignant ways.

And I go on like that for a few hundred more words, if you're motivated to follow up on my thoughts on the matter.

New fiction also features Scott Nicholson's Angelorum Orbis, a story of futuristic Roman-styled empire-builders planning the plunder of an apparently helpless world. But, of course, such worlds are rarely as helpless as they seem. Make sure to visit Scott's Haunted Computer site and tell him what you think.

Now Playing: Various Sensual Classics

No comments:

Post a Comment