Sunday, August 15, 2004

Back from doing the 'Dillo

Very tired right now, which usually follows from a weekend of conventioning. Armadillocon was quite the success. Reconnected with a lot of folks I hadn't seen in a while, and had several panels that went extremely well--the audience (packed, mostly) complained when they ended. A personal highlight was making Howard Waldrop bust a gut when I asserted during a desperate moment during "Fannish Feud" that I, JOHN MANDEVILLE was a novel written by GoH Sharon Shinn (for those of you who don't know Waldrop, the MANDEVILLE book is a novel he's been working on for three decades and counting). The writers' workshop on Friday was a lot of fun, although none of the participants burst into tears (despite my best efforts). Two-Headed Baby, the band that played the dance Saturday night, was bluesy-cool, and reminded me a whole heck of a lot of the late, lamented Los Blues Guys (probably because of Brad Denton's drumming and Rory Harper's guitar work. Those two being main instigators behind Los Blues Guys). And Saturday's parties were lots of fun, although mere shadows of the big Coppervale Press/Monkeybrain Books blowout of last year. I had no idea liquid nitrogen was so effective in the manufacture of ice cream. The things one learns at cons.

I also picked up nine issues of Omega Men I've been missing from my run of the comic title. A very uneven comic series with tons of potential. Yet another case of a science fiction title being ruined because comics writers treated the premise as "superheroes in space" rather than straight SF. When will they learn?

Also, in non-Armadillocon developments, my sprawling interview with the lovely and talented Paul Dini is now online at RevolutionSF. He's the guy who does all those nifty-keen animated television shows you know and love. Like "Ewoks" and "Droids." Plus a few lesser-regarded obscurities such as "Batman" and "Duck Dodgers."

Now Playing: Olympics

No comments:

Post a Comment