Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Do you dare challenge the might of the DARK TOWER?

Retrieve the Ancient Magic Scepter that has been stolen by the tyrant king! The Scepter is the Power Staff of teh Empire and a Kingdom has been offered for its return. It now lays hidden in the Dark Tower guarded by the tyrant's fierce band of Brigands. Three magic keys will open the tower to you. Find the keys in three foreign kingdoms, and you can lay siege to the Dark Tower!

Enter the Dark Tower if you dare!


Boy, oh boy, does this bring back memories. It came out in the early 80s right when Dungeons & Dragons was starting to gain a good bit of mainstream popularity. Dark Tower had cool artwork and packaging, a good degree of interactivity and presented a good illusion of role playing while maintaining a quick pace and manageable game mechanics. The sound effects were fun as well. I remember that my troops always got struck down by the damn plague whenever I got strong enough to wipe out any Brigand forces I might encounter. That, and I was forever getting lost. I was a round game board with clearly defined spaces--and my warriors still managed to get lost. Go figure.

What's cool is that I still have my game. It's back at my parents house, and the box is pretty ragged from lots of use, but it still worked a few years back. Next time I'm there I've got to double check and make sure the batteries have been taken out...

Now Playing: Talking Heads Speaking in Tongues

No comments:

Post a Comment