Friday, May 06, 2005

Hello, pot! Kettle calling!

Well, boo frellin' hoo. Via Bookslut: It looks like Texas Monthly is all upset that Boston magazine stole it's cover layout design:
Who hasn't placed distinguished politicians wearing suits in forboding poses with the look of a near-dead Marlon Brando on the front?

Well, we haven't, but Texas Monthly says they did all those things first (in the February issue, with state Speaker of the House Tom Craddick) and now Boston mag's current edition (with governor Mitt Romney) features something, uhm, similar.

Gee, I hate to break it to Texas Monthly, but the sad truth of the matter is that you can't copyright ideas. As I found out back in 1997 when Texas Monthly told me they weren't interested in a feature story on the San Antonio Worldcon, then turned around and gave my proposal and outline (which was required under their submission guidelines) to one of their in-house writers. Come to find out, that's standard operating procedure at Texas Monthly. Tom Knowles had three proposals poached by them before he noticed them appearing in the mag about six months later.

Cry me a river, Texas Monthly.

Now Playing: ZZ Top ZZ Top's First Album

1 comment:

  1. Jayme -

    Have you gotten any e-mails from me recently - including a submission? I haven't heard from you in months.

    ReplyDelete