Friday, May 13, 2005

How to piss me off, part Darvin IV

Now, you folks know I'm going ga-ga over the Discovery Channel's upcoming movie, Alien Planet. I'm ga-ga because it's based on Expedition : Being and Account in Words and Artwork of the 2358 A.D. Voyage to Darwin IV by Wayne Douglas Barlowe, which is simply one of the most visionary science fictional creations I've ever had the joy of laying eyes upon. I'm taking the opportunity to evangelize the show at every opportunity. Until now.

I just got this SPAM in from one Angela Quan, apparently a hack PR flack at a hack PR outfit called Crew Creative Advertising. Prepackaged spam directed at me would be bad enough, but this wasn't directed at me. It was a broad-spectrum massivecast, apparently via relays and such, because my email appears not once in the header, or anywhere else for that matter. And the actual content pissed me off as well:
We just received some exciting new assets for our latest project, ALIEN PLANET that I thought you might be interested in.

ALIEN PLANET, a special two-hour program event will premiere (snip) on the Discovery Channel. Rooted in the latest scientific research, ALIEN PLANET takes viewers on a dramatic virtual mission of the future through the possibilities of life outside of our solar system and the deconstruction of the living form, based on the laws of evolution and physics.

(snip)

I apologize for the short notice, but it would be awesome if you could possibly get both of this content up on your site to promote ALIEN PLANET. Please let me know if you would possibly be interested.

First of all, it sounds to me like some intern didn't follow through with obligations to cultivate the online community's interest, and so decided spamming would do the trick at a fraction of the effort. That intern (god forbid they actually pay this moron a salary) should be fed to a pack of rabid dagger-wrists. The quickest way to generate ill-will online is to spam. Witness me, an otherwise passionate supporter of this film.

But what really, really irritates me is the relentless, mind-numbing parrotting of the line "Rooted in the latest scientific research." Listen up Angela, Discovery and Crew Creative, because I'm only going to repeat this once: It's based on Barlowe's book, you microcephalic cretins! The latest scientific research has diddly-squat to do with the creatures here! The only thing these talking-head scientists "think" are the comments they make regarding what Barlowe already imagined! Are you all ethically and intellectually bankrupt?

Well, Angela sent out that spam hoping to generate some online buzz. I've certainly blogged about it, but removed her pretty links and references to the show's actual airing times as punishment for her gross incompetence. Does that count as mission accomplished?

Now Playing: The Kinks To the Bone

3 comments:

  1. I just love blog-induced spam. Really, I do! I can't count how many people have sent crap suggesting how they could publish my novel for me. Hah! Or better are the marketing wonks that offer to market me for me... never mind that I already work in marketing. Seems a bit silly, non?

    But, you know, I'm still watching ALIEN PLANET. You can't make me not watch.

    Have you seen Barlowe's INFERNO. God, that's some gorgeous stuff....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Watching it? Hell, I've already got the DVD on pre-order.

    And yes, I've got Barlowe's Inferno. Gorgeous. I don't have Brushfire yet, but I will. Oh yes.

    But again, what I really want is his occasionally mentioned sequel to Expedition. He's done liquivors and tripeds and sonar to a dazzling extent, so I wonder what he could come up with that'd be as fresh and strange?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Naked nuns.

    That's my bet, anyway.

    ReplyDelete