Monday, April 25, 2005

Aggiecon recap the first

Well. That was interesting.

My previous blog entry came at 12:02 Friday morning. That was already far too late for me to be staying up, since I had to get up early and take Calista to school before heading on to College Station. But not 10 minutes after I logged off and shut down the computer, the phone rings. It's the university police department. Could I come to campus, because they needed someone from Media Relations, ASAP.

Damn.

Joe's Crab Shack in San Marcos is built over the spillway of the Spring Lake dam, which most people would know as the lake at Aquarena. The rushing water forms the San Marcos River, which continues on through campus and the town before merging with the Blanco River. It seems that after closing, four employees decided the "No Diving From Balcony" signs were meant only as quaint decoration, and began flinging themselves off the balcony into the spillway flow, maybe 30 feet below. One, a student at the university, didn't come back up.

What a damn senseless waste of human life. Started what was supposed to be a fun weekend on a sour note, and I was punchy all Friday due to lack of sleep. Was I as stupid when I was in college? Probably. I suppose I should count myself lucky that there aren't any big spillways or waterfalls in College Station.

Now Playing: Jim Hancock & Friends Good Companions

No comments:

Post a Comment