Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Back to Kay Bailey

Last week, if you'll remember, I promised to get back to why I find Texas Senator Kay Bailey Hutchison to be superficial and shallow. She is, like former Governor Ann Richards, little more than a photo-op waiting to happen, more interested in image than results. I won't ramble through the list of her (in my view) public failings, but will share my wife's direct encounter with the senator.

Lisa was working for the Banner-Press newspaper in Brenham back around '94 or so. Hutchison had a public speaking engagement scheduled in town. For the week leading up to her appearance, her staff members called Lisa almost daily, asking if she was going to cover the event, demanding that she cover the event, pleading that she cover the event. Lisa, a Republican by inclination and a big supporter of female politicians in general, had every intention of giving the senator's engagement her full attention. But she grew mighty sick of the constant badgering by the senator's staff.

So when the big event finally arrives, and Lisa is dutifully ready with her notebook and tape recorder, how does Senator Hutchison react? Cue melodramatic Southern swoon: "What is the press doing here? This was supposed to be an intimate meeting with my constituents! Oh, why will you people never give me a moment's peace? SIGH Very well. I'll take a few questions, but then I simply must devote myself to my dear constituents..."

Lisa's not been much of a fan of the senator since that little dog and pony show.

Now Playing: John Cougar Mellencamp Human Wheels

3 comments:

  1. Yes, but KBH was a UT, er, tu cheerleader. That should count for something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And Rick Perry was a Yell Leader at A&M. Hmm. That does explain a lot, on both accounts...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah. I see. Well, we shouldn't have any confusion, as my GIBBERISH is tainted, impure, and generally unfit for human consumption!

    ReplyDelete