Friday, April 15, 2005

Mark your calendars

Amazing. After all the struggle with trying to arrange book signings over the past six or so weeks, it's as if I've passed some unspoken initiation test and all the obstacles in my path have suddenly evaporated. I spoke to three Hastings book managers today, and all three were willing--nay, eager--to accomodate a signing event with me and Voices of Vision. For the record, here is my upcoming schedule:
  • Friday, May 20, 6-8 p.m.
    Hastings
    651 Business Loop IH-35, Suite 1340
    New Braunfels, TX
  • Friday, May 27, 6-8 p.m.
    Hastings
    1380 E. Court Street
    Seguin, TX
  • Saturday, May 28, 6-9 p.m.
    Hastings
    2200 S. IH-35, Suite B1
    Round Rock, TX

I anticipate adding a number of additional Hastings signings over the course of the summer, along with possibly some Borders or Barnes & Noble stops as well (if they'll have me). But Hastings earns my full attention now for two reasons: 1) I've finally cracked their ever-shifting process, and am reasonably confident I know what hoops to expect with them, and how to jump properly; 2) Hastings, being a smaller, regional chain in smaller markets, gets overlooked by most authors doing signing tours, and are more appreciative of the writers who approach them. At least that's the impression I got with my phone conversations today. Seguin seemed particularly enthusiastic--after all, Seguin's a nice community and known throughout the state (pretty much quintessential small-town Texas), but it's not likely to be at the top of Stephen King's or Tom Clancy's list of promotional hotbeds.

I'm definitely looking forward to visiting with these folks for a few hours. Hopefully, they'll look forward to buying a book or two of mine.

Now Playing: The Kinks Sleepwalker

1 comment:

  1. Though I'm from Seattle we toured the Texas Hill Country a few years ago. The bookstore in Seguin was quite nice. I found a few things there to buy. I wish you success in promoting your books. Just remember, you win some, you lose some.

    ReplyDelete