Thursday, April 21, 2005

The Swarm!

Lisa called me out to look at something in our neighbor's front yard. "I think it's a bee hive," she said. A bee hive? None of the trees in our neighborhood were big enough to host a hive, I thought. Must be a wasp nest.

Wrong. It was a bee swarm. It was a very impressive thing to behold. I'd never seen one before, and it is a wonderful and intimidating mass of insect bodies, I can assure you. I was able to get close and take a sequence of photos. Click on the last one to see a higher-resolution version that's got some spectacular detail (keep in mind that the larger image is still maybe half the size of the original).


I don't know about you, but I certainly wouldn't want that bunch to get agitated and come after me with blood in their little compound eyes, no siree!

Now Playing: Various Celtic Moods

No comments:

Post a Comment