Thursday, October 06, 2005

The best laid plans...

For the wife's birthday, I bought her a kitchen island. Terribly domestic, I know, but she'd wanted one ever since we moved into the new house and I like to get her gifts she's not expecting. This one is boxed up with "Some assembly reuired." I sneak it home and into the garage, where I hide it in the garage, disguised by tons of materials from my bookcase project. The plan was to assemble it last night after Lisa went to bed (as I'm always up far later than the rest of the family) so that when she woke up in the morning, she'd find it waiting for her in the kitchen with her birthday cake and the girls' gifts sitting atop it. Good plan.

Except that after everyone was asleep and I began to put it together, I discovered that one of the side panels had been snapped and splintered. So Lisa woke up this morning to a box full of assorted, useless parts that had to be exchanged later in the day.

But hey, the Astros won, so the day wasn't a total loss.

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel Plays Live

No comments:

Post a Comment