Friday, February 16, 2007

Chickens come home to swim

Remember my good buddy Ken Valentine, aka I-Hate-That-Ken/That-Ken-I-Hate? He's the city councilman who dismissed overwhelming community opposition to his proposed river ordinance changes to ram through his personal agenda. He's the one who decided to ignore his constituents and pander to his personal cabal. Well, it looks like some folks in city council district 1 have noticed That-Ken-I-Hate's antics, and have launched a recall petition against him:
Webb, who lives in Valentine’s district, said the recall petition is necessary because Valentine is representing only a select number of the people who live in District 6.

While he was a member of the river committee, Webb said he wanted to come up with reasonable solutions that everyone could live with, but said what he saw was one-sided representation by a “certain segment of our community.”

“This goes way back,” he said. “We have a trust here. We make rules like this that affect the state of Texas and he (Valentine) represents a small group that lives right around him and doesn’t listen to the rest of his constituency. ... I regret spending any time on the River Activities Committee.”

Webb said he also was disappointed with the lack of respect New Braunfels residents were shown by Valentine at Monday night’s council meeting when they spoke — primarily against the river ordinances.

That-Ken-I-Hate is, of course, boo-hooing and saying people are being mean to him. Quite amusing, his arrogance is, especially when you understand that he lost his last general election, and only retained his seat because the winner withdrew because of family problems. Not only do I expect the recall petition to garner the necessary signatures, I expect That-Ken-I-Hate to be voted out by an overwhelming margin. People in town are pissed about this, big time. I also expect Jay Patrick, a newcomer running for the district 2 position, to easily oust Beth Sokolyk, another of That-Ken-I-Hate's lackeys. The only reason I don't expect Kathleen Krueger to get booted in district 5 is because her term doesn't expire until 2008. But you know, we can always hope the good people of district 5 launch a recall of their own.

I'll volunteer to go door-to-door collecting names.

Now Playing: Lynrd Skynrd Skynrd's Innyrds

1 comment:

  1. Anonymous12:37 AM

    I hate drunks. No really, I can't stand people that can't hold their liquor and make total asses out of themselves.

    I used to work @ Rockin' R from '00 to '05 summer. I've driven the buses, thrown tubes, guided during high/low water, done river cleanup, cleaned up trash @ cypress bend park until 11pm (it might have gone more quickly, but I estimate the other outfitters cleaned up 1% of all the trash). My point is I have been there working my butt off & I have seen some things you would not believe. I will tell you this. There were many, many more well behaved people than there were idiots.

    As to the new ordinances, understand this: It's about banning alcohol. Valentine has stated before it is his intention to ban alcohol on the rivers. These are just the first baby steps on that road. New ordinances designed to circumvent the river authority established by the state of Texas.

    The banning crowd has an agenda, and listening to any alternative view is not a part of it.

    Living on the river is not the same as living the river.

    ReplyDelete