Monday, July 27, 2009

A sign! A sign!

This weekend we were visiting relatives, both mine and The Wife's. On the way from one to the other, we passed through La Grange, close enough to the site of the old Chicken Ranch that I could've seen the ruins had trees not blocked the view. I remarked to The Wife that the book project really has taken complete hold of me, since we all I could think as we passed through Fayette County was that I was missing a great opportunity for more research.

Upon arrival at Bastrop, my mother-in-law tells us we're just in time, because "Your movie is playing on TV." Sure enough, there's Burt and Dolly haming it up in The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas. We watch Charles Durning hoof his way through "The Sidestep" and then enjoy the sublime "Hard Candy Christmas" (even though the women are waaaay over-dressed). The Wife and I both bolt when Dolly delivers her old "I Will Always Love You" chestnut to Burt while standing stock-still. Great song, but it's awful being shoe-horned into this movie.

On the way home, The Wife turns on the radio and ZZ Top's "La Grange" is playing. When we get home, we find that The Best Little Whorehouse in Texas is airing again. I missed the Watchdog report, but did catch "The Aggie Song," which never fails to crack me up. The Wife looked at me and said, "It's a sign."

Well, yeah. We can be fairly confident now that the pop culture gods of blues-rock and goofy music musicals want this book written. Beyond that, I'm not willing to venture.

Now Playing: Johann Sebastian Bach Romantic Moments vol. 8

No comments:

Post a Comment