Thursday, February 07, 2013

20/365: Chicken Ranch Tokens

So, I've been away for a while. That doesn't mean I haven't been shooting photos for the 365 project. It does mean I've been slammed, and not had a moment to process or upload anything. Also means I'm suffering a bit of sleep deprivation this week as well. But I grabbed a few minutes tonight, and started playing a little catch up.

This picture of the day is one of 17 brass Chicken Ranch tokens I picked up from an Ebay auction. They're fake--as are all Chicken Ranch tokens, on Ebay or elsewhere--no matter what anyone may tell you. The Miss Edna confirmed to me that the Chicken Ranch never had such things, and the earliest record I have of them date to 1977. That's the year the Chicken Ranch restaurant opened in Dallas, and they sold them as souvenirs. After the restaurant closed, ads appeared in the classified section of the Dallas Morning News for all that remained. These look to be brand-new, struck at some metal shop somewhere. Doesn't matter--they're still neat conversation pieces. Even if they're fake.

Chicken Ranch brothel brass tokens, fake, 365, La Grange, New Braunfels photography

Camera: Canon 7D
Lens: Canon EF 100mm 2.8 macro

Now Playing: Peter Gabriel Peter Gabriel 1
Chicken Ranch Central

No comments:

Post a Comment