Monday, July 25, 2005

Doctor Love revisited

Way back in the shadowy mists of my college years, there was a band that rose up to to stride as giants over the College Station music scene for one brief, shining moment: Dr. Love and the Erogenous Zones. Comprised of Kerry and Kelly Shatzer (who I knew pre-band days) and several other members I recall only via their stage names, they were a hell of a lot of fun to see, heckle, listen to and drink beer with. The stage personas were Dr. Love, Vinnie Vomit, Guido, Nurse Chastity and Hans Amadeus Wolfgang von Ax of Ulm. In their latter days, Hans (the base player) graduated and left the band, to be replaced briefly by a girl named Annie before they broke up for good.

They couldn't sing. Could barely play. But that didn't diminish the fun factor on iota. They became a huge draw around A&M, and eventually played gigs in Dallas and Houston. Austin remained elusive, however. I talked them into holding a concert for Aggiecon 22 at the Grove outdoor theatre prior to that night's showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show, where they were joined by local legend "Sneaky Pete" Rizzo. They had songs played on the Dr. Demento show. They created such musical gems as "Love Sneeze," "Inflatable Woman," "Sexist Pig" and "Hefty Hefty Hefty." They covered Billy and the Boingers as well as Plan 9. And they had some really wicked, perverted parody songs that would make Weird Al turn very, very red.

Driving to work this morning, Robert Palmer's "Doctor Doctor" started playing on the radio, and it took me a moment to realize I was singing right along with it--only I was singing the Dr. Love lyrics from 15 years ago. Bizarre how I can remember that, but not my phone number:
Hot summer nights and a one-night stand
who I was seeing more than I planned
then one night while we were in bed
my face turned blue when she said--

(chorus)
Doctor! Doctor! I've got bad news
I'm gonna have a baby because of you
Oooh I forgot to take my pill
I'm gonna have a baby because of you

Just one mistake can change your life
that one-night stand became my wife
burping babies and diaper rash
I'm now a dad because I was outta cash

(chorus)

Don't you know that you'll pay for your sins
I feel so old now 'cause she had twins

(chorus)

I've still got my official Dr. Love concert shirt tucked in a drawer at home, although it's not in the best of condition these days. I used to have a bootleg tape of their best parodies, but that one vanished somewhere along the way. Every so often, I run into an old college pal who claims to have both bootleg and their lone commercial release, but he never quite comes through with the copy. Ah well. At least the glory of Dr. Love lives on in my memory.

Aaaaay batterbatterbatter SA-wing batter!

Now Playing: Brian Wilson Smile

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous3:07 PM

    WOW! A quick Google and I find *one* person who remembers Dr. Love!

    You can't forget classics like, "Just to Fix My Car" ('You mean I have to drive all the way to Bryan?!') and "Stop the World (and Belch With You)" -- with the infamous belch solo!

    I went to A&M for 2 years in 90-92 and was lucky enough to see them live several times.

    Thanks for the walk down memory lane -- wearing Hans' fuzzy boots, no less!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You won't believe this, man, but I actually saw Hans Amadaeus Wolfgang Von Axe of Ulm last weekend at World Fantasy Convention!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:13 PM

    I am actually very close friends with Kerry Shatzer and my boyfriend is Kelly Shatzer... so DR Love is alive and well and at least one of the Erogenous zones is doing fine.. Kerry still performs some Dr Love songs at karaoke on occasion.. funny stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:10 PM

    You might be interested to know that Dr. Love and the Erogenous Zones now have a myspace page..
    http://www.myspace.com/drloveandtheerogenouszones

    ReplyDelete
  5. Howdy! Just found your awesome page, Jayme! Thanks for keeping the spirit of Dr. Love & The Erogenous Zones alive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Holy cow...here it is, 2021, and I'm scanning some of the negatives of the photos I took at a Dr Love & The EZs show.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you CANNOT drop that drive-by comment without sharing some of those glorious images from yesteryear!

      Delete
  7. Sarah T3:35 PM

    Emailed!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous9:35 PM

    In the 80s I came across a cassette of what sounded like a live show...my memory sucks, is there any where to listen to thier music now???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That was their "official bootleg" that contained their parody songs--their official cassette release only had their originals, like "Stamp Collecting." I had a copy I played until it literally wore out. Alas, any of their songs are hard to come by these days. The band had some songs up on MySpace back when MySpace was a thing but Facebook went and ruined that. I believe Kelly and Kerry have most of Dr. Love's catalog digitized but I haven't had contact with either for at least a decade.

      Delete